Monday, June 8, 2009

Is it Fair?

I was setting up a new computer with voice analysis software. I needed to calibrate so I went to uTube and picked one of the latest press conferences from the White House Press Secretary. The video was 40 minutes long and with the complexity of the cameras, screen recording software, and getting it to work all together it took almost the entire 40 minutes.

There were clear times where he show stress and high stress- normal given the environment and the veracity of the press. There was one time when he was being untruthful. I'm not going to get into the specifics, but I would characterize it as a white lie, because it was said to avoid hurting the feelings of another.

With the technologies that are available, and will be in the future, is it fair for everybody to know when everybody is being truthful or under stress? Could it get to the point where we see this real time -in ticker fashion- when watching the news?

Regardless of you answer, there are people like myself, regardless of the technology see these things. I'm on a vacation in Sanibel Island and while watching the local news there was a first court hearing for an accused murderer... and given what I saw while the accused simply stood before the judge- I saw him show shame and other signals that he had been caught with his hand in the cookie jar- technology is what it is- but I trust human lie detectors more than technology. You have to ask then why the voice stress analyzer- well the general public trusts technology above people who have been extensively trained to detect emotions and deceit... there still is the "sometimes a cigar is just a cigar attitude" - So I use both.◦
Share/Bookmark

0 comments: