Wednesday, May 27, 2009

“My children wanted me. They needed me. And now I can’t help them” SUSAN SMITH


Before Smith was a suspect in her children’s deaths, she told reporters, “My children wanted me. They needed me. And now I can’t help them.”

Notice the tense.

Remember in your past when someone close to you died, and every so often you'd mix the tense. It is normal, we all do it. When we do it, we use the present tense, as if they are still alive.

When someone is dealing with such a high anxiety situation, they hold up all hope and do not make mistakes in tense. Using past tense assumes that they are no longer living, and subconsciously they could be telling us something. Especially hours and days after it has happened- after weeks or months a logical person may slowly come to the conclusion that they are no longer living, but I have heard mothers use the present tense years after their child has been missing. Everybody is different and needs to be evaluated in context of the situation, personality, and educational level.

In an another abduction case currently unsolved, this mistake was made in a television interview. There were other things that clearly caused suspicion, but the parent was leading the camera crew through their home for the first time since the abduction, and while on the tour the child's bedroom door was opened, you wouldn't expect a tense mistake (~this was his/her room); because after all it still IS their room?!?! RIGHT?

Share/Bookmark

0 comments: