Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Spying for Lying Oscar Goes To...

82nd Academy Awards Producer, Director And President Press Conference


I am lucky enough, because of my work with computers and the movie business over a decade ago, to see each and every screener movie (where studios make available a copy of the dvd for people who vote for awards, they market to the actual voters with the idea if the movie wins the award(s) it will become more profitable and gain more exposure).

So here are my thoughts of this crop of movies:

The Hurt Locker, WOW this movie was really good, it would have been so easy for the director and the actors to go "over the top" -it is a study in powerfulness through subtleties. The way the director captures fear in a side shot, close up of the taxi driver's eye is just one of the many ways she captures emotion in this movie. I'd say something to this director I never say, "I'd work as body language, gesture, emotion consultant for free on your next project" for the opportunity to work with you, but you don't need me- you nail human emotion... especially in the face and eyes. Jeremy Renner is nominated for 'Actor in a Leading Role' and the facial expression you give the audience while brushing your teeth while talking to a member of the team right after another actor says, "...I'm pretty sure I can figure out a..." is perfection- not often does an actor convey so much in five seconds on screen. These are just a couple smaller things that get me stoked about the Hurt Locker, I could give you a couple much more bigger moments but I do not want to give any more of the movie away. The Hurt Locker is nominated for 9 Oscars, it would be a total shame if it ends up a shut out. War movies and Oscars don't usually mix, but I see at least one win in your future, maybe more.

Avatar, how can we not mention this largely actorless movie. While actual people donned sensor suits, the majority of the movie was done with computers and if you watch it you cannot tell. Having been a part of similar, earlier and much lesser advanced projects like this, I can tell you I appreciated the way the tails moved and the grass and vegetation showed motion. The best thing about the technology is you are transported to a different world and you do not even notice it after just a few short seconds. This is what movies are supposed to do, cause the audience to suspend reality.

Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire, the movie is powerful and at times hard to watch. As Precious, Gabourey Sidibe plays a pregnant teenager who struggles to overcome years of abuse at the hands of her parents, and she is nominated for 'Actress in a Leading Role' and I'm impressed. She will not win because she was picked by the director from obscurity and people are wondering how she was able to show so much emotion in subtle ways. We cannot know if she "acted" or if because of her own life and experiences. Regardless she was able to nail the character. If you can handle the content it is worth viewing this movie.

Up in the Air, I liked the movie, while the main characters are not the best with their gestures and facial expressions... the clips of the people being fired were top notch. Many showed true emotions and a few even showed micro expressions.

Now some of my other notes, not necessarily related to the content of this site:

Best movie to watch with the family (young and old) The Blind Side.

I didn't 'get' District 9 but watched the entire movie, which is more than I can say for Inglourious Basterds.

Movies not recognized by the Academy but were promoted by studios that are worth mentioning:

Another movie I did not get, is the wildest ride, darkest, wondering if it is going to end up being a dream at any point is the movie Antichrist. Middle America avoid this movie, it did win several awards overseas and at festivals.

The movie that really hit me hard was The Road. It will likely not affect you in the same way it did me. I love documentaries (this is not one) and having seen Food Inc, Super Size Me, and Going Further- all documentaries related to our food supply- and watching a movie that is a struggle to survive in a world no longer capable of sustaining life... the movie and some of the scenes were a bit much for me.


Back to a movie that is nominated for 3 Oscars is, Crazy Heart, -I really liked this movie. It will likely be lost in the shuffle. Jeff Bridges plays, "Bad Blake" and does a good job in it, but it doesn't stretch his acting abilities, but he is consistent in his 'playing' of the character. Jeff Bridges is an actor where his own likable personality shows through in every role he plays. "Bad Blake" is not a hero, but he is likable and you pull for him, while at the same time you want to slap him around a bit... And that is why I told- all those who asked my opinion about this crop of movies and actors- about Crazy Heart.◦
Share/Bookmark

0 comments: