Friday, November 12, 2010

Advanced Statement Analysis Book- Psychological Narrative Analysis: A Professional Method to Detect Deception in Written and Oral Communications



If you have purchased and enjoyed the insight that the book I Know You Are Lying
gave you, then this book ups everything one notch.

Many books in this area are written by English professors and quickly become boring and too dry to be read, not this one- I found a bio of the author online,  "John R. Schafer, Ph.D. is a retired FBI Special Agent. He was assigned to the FBI’s National Security Behavioral Analysis Program. Dr. Schafer’s investigative experience includes foreign counterintelligence, civil rights, and crimes against children." 

Learn about

  • Tag Qualifiers
  • Text Bridges
  • Push-Pull Words
  • Word Qualifiers
I know this likely means nothing to most people, so let me leave you with this question, "If a person starts a sentence with the word 'well' is it more or less likely there is deception?

I could give you another 20+ of these types of questions, and if you read the book, you'd know the answer, and you'd be leaps and bounds above the average in detecting deception.◦
Share/Bookmark

4 comments:

Drew said...

I think the book I Know You Are Lying was pretty helpful, but my criticism of it was that the author didn't seem to apply all his methods in a completely faithful manner. He seemed overly suspicious of everyone he analyzed. I don't think there was a single case where he analyzed someone and decided they were probably being truthful.

That said, I definitely think that book taught me a good bit more about liars than all this vague, ambiguous microexpression nonsense. I'll probably get this second book too since you recommend it.

Kyzmich said...

micro-expression nonsense? how is it vague, ambiguous and non-sense?

Drew said...

Because the majority of the time when you see them, it's still not very indicative of what specifically the emotion is directed toward.

Kyzmich said...

true that... but you do know what emotion he is feeling and that could be a hot spot or clue to investigate further.