Friday, January 1, 2010

2009 : A Great Year for Spying For Lying

Calendar

I started posting in May of this year, for a couple of months I only had 50 or so visitors a day, then a couple of things happened:

- I posted a series of articles concerning the case of Dr. Sam Sheppard that got national attention.

- I posted some articles about the new show, "More to Love" and predicted after the first show, a group of girls where one would make it to the end, and predicted those who would be amongst the first to go... and was RIGHT! I know when the new Bachelor or Bachelorette is on TV ,the first post will be one of the most popular.

-Then I made a mistake. It was about the Haleigh Cummings case. It was with one post where I didn't have everything lined up with the facts and drew an inaccurate conclusion. I correctly picked up things in other posts concerning the 911 call, fake crying, and a clear idea that both Ronald and Misty know more than they have told. At the same time I noticed a mistake made by the investigator that completed the Layer Voice Analysis on Misty. So I got 4 out of five things right. It made me look at things much more closely and that has made be a better investigator. I now believe Ron and Misty probably know who took their daughter (based on the 911 call the night of her disappearance) or, for some reason have had to lie to investigators about where Misty was that night- must be a big skeleton in their closet. Every expert agrees the key is somewhere between Ronald and/or Misty talking or finding the girl and/or physical evidence. Sad. No good ending.

- There was two moments this year where I wanted to reach out to investigators. One concerned a girl who was missing and her uncle said something to a news crew that was reporting on volunteer search efforts to find the girl. It was a small thing, but his words haunt me. It was a hot spot in his words, "...good outcome..." Probably nothing, but what if it wasn't?!?! The second was an investigative show on A&E when a gang member was being questioned about the shooting of someone he knew, he cried (real tears)... the emotion was not normal for someone of his personality and background (it seemed wrong and out of context, but since they were seeing real emotion they let it go and let him off without answering some tough questions) and I thought they should have questioned him more...

I now average just short of 8,000 visitors a month, and it is growing.
Still not big enough to get a copy editor- Sorry- but I will make it a resolution to pay a little more attention to my p's and q's. ;-)

Survey

I want to thank everybody who gave me this great feedback. Here are the results:




What is to come in 2010?

Who knows. I can tell you both professionally and personally I have never felt better about the work that I do.

Two best selling authors in the field will be providing content for the Spying for Lying site, which is very exciting for all of us!!!

I am also excited about the prospect of devoting some time to help family members of victims of serious crimes that find their case in the cold case departments across the country by examining statements of witnesses and those involved, and providing a fresh set of eyes.

A great deal to be happy about.


Some interesting things about visitors to the site are:

On my biggest day I had 1800 visitors, this happened on November 29, 2009 right after Tiger Woods' accident.

Biggest spikes occur after someone tweets, reddits, facebook posts, diggits, etc. and all that other social networking "stuff." I really do not understand how it all works- wish I did. To those of you that get it- THANKS! Keep doing it!

The people getting the most attention on my site are Susan Powell, Amanda Knox, Jon Gosslin, Dr. David Matsumoto, Stacy Keibler, Dalia Dippolito, Tiger Woods, Dr. Paul Ekman and Dr. Samuel Sheppard.

My visitor's countries


Here is a neat snapshot of the last 500 people who visited Spying For Lying



A Final Thought

One of the most rewarding things is answering your questions you submit via the form, and the feedback I have received says that a little over 1000 people have further explored training opportunities either at Humintell's website or by purchasing books- and this is just what I know about!!!

It lets me know there is an army of people who are educating themselves and will be able to see the world and its people more clearly.

I also know it is becoming a hot destination on the Internet for those studying criminology and psychology at colleges and universities across the country.

It is always good knowing the work you do is making a difference- Thanks.

To all my visitors, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!◦
Share/Bookmark

5 comments:

BackOrder said...

Your blog caught my attention recently. It's interesting and I will keep on reading and commenting.

The only downside in my opinion is the numerous overly short articles (sometimes as little as 1-3 sentences). I'd really prefer fewer but longer articles. It would certainly help to get more participation from us.

More than 20 posts in the last 7 days. That's a bit overwhelming.

I would like to be able to follow and/or catch up with your blog on a weekly basis, which is hardly possible with that many posts.

Happy New Year, John! I wish you a great success and good continuation with your blog. =)

Ian.

Dude said...

Yaay! I'm from Romania and I love your blog :D Keep up the good work, John and Happy New Year!!! :D

Anonymous said...

It is nice to be able to find scholarly resources in one place, along with commentary to help us see how it is applied.

Keep up the great work!

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. John,

I like that this blog is a bridge between the layperson and the scholars and their research for nonverbal communication.

I personally would like to see interviews by you with the book/journal authors that you recommend and post it online, once per month.

I also like the links for researchers. Would you please also create another section for experts on nonverbal communication/body language, because nonverbal communication is a large field with many researchers; such as Dr. Albert Mehrabian, Dr. David Givens, Dr. Judee Burgoon, Dr. Mark L. Knapp, and many more; and include a link to their websites, research, and writings?

Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Hi John.

I have been following your site along with knowns such as Paul Ekman, David Matsumoto. I find it quite informative.

Since I have been a child, I have what I call my 'little voice'. My mom always thought I was weird, but it was just a sense when someone was upset, lying, or misleading. I was always good at it and trust it to this day, but never understood it. Ekman and Matsumoto have helped me realize that this is probably what my 'little voice' is.

I look forward to your posting more about yourself and your background. There are a few sites on the Internet that while they sometimes provide useful information, unlike Ekman, Matsumoto they don't provide background on themselves, choosing the 'mysterious' route for many claimed reasons. While I think this is silly in todays world of the Internet - as anyone can find out anyone if they use reasonable effort, I just like to know the person I am taking information from especially given the 'type of topic'.

Looking forward to your blog in 2010!

-mike.