Monday, January 18, 2010

Wyclef's Personal Statement on the Accusations Against Yele Haiti



Thank you Anonymous for posting this in the comment section of a previous post:

There have been several news stories about Wyclef Jean's Haiti charity not being legitimate and allegations that he is taking money from it.

Wyclef put out a video refuting the accusations today. At first I thought he was being honest, but then he started covering his mouth, touching his face, and being evasive in some of the things he said. What do you think?

I got the impression that he was lying. I would be very interested in your thoughts on the video.


This is a great video.

I see anger when he first speaks about rumors. Throughout the speech I see him raise his eyebrows so lines form on his forehead, this is a good sign of confidence in what he is speaking about. In a way it is equivalent of saying how dare you question me...

When he first touches his face at 3:35 he first rubs his hands together and touches his face, you can see sadness in his eyebrows and he is talking about being "attacked" and then exhales a big breath. He is experiencing so much emotion. When lying emotions are usually reserved, it is clear he does not like being in this position, and he is under stress because of the accusation.

When he again touches his face at around 4:00 minutes, he is speaking about the footage of what he has seen. It is pacifying and understandable given what he has just seen in Haiti.

From a statement analysis perspective he explains expenses, all charities use funds received for business expenses, for some it is a gross fraud when only 10% make it to the people that need it. He states about some expenses surrounding concerts (I would assume are fund raisers) including paying the band and managers, etc. this makes some sense to me, while these expenses could add up and be sizable... it would take a accountant to see if the charity is making enough money to justify these expenses.

I believe he is HONEST and really wants to make a difference and help in this video.◦
Share/Bookmark

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your thoughts on this video! I am still not completely convinced that he's being honest, but I enjoyed reading your interpretation, as it gave me some new information about lie detecting.