Monday, October 26, 2009

What is Wrong with this 911 Call?



Sarah went upstairs to draw a bath in the master. She liked her calming baths. The young dental hygienist had been tormented with more of her headaches that afternoon. The young couple in the suburban Cincinnati home that evening had been married for just 114 days.

Is there anything wrong with this 911 call, should we be suspicious? Yes.

Lets take a look at the following two statements:

A frantic young man called 911: "Get an ambulance to 168 Birch. My friend's been shot!"

In another instance, the father of a 1-year-old boy reported, "Yes, ma'am ... my, my son can't breathe."

Do 911 homicide calls contain clues that could help investigators identify the killer? In these two examples, the first caller demanded immediate medical assistance for his friend and did not commit the crime. In the second instance, the father politely reported his child's condition, never asking for help... and was later convicted.

Let's also look at what he says a little further.

Ryan Widmer: my wife...she fell asleep in the bathtub, I think. I was downstairs, I just came up here and she was laying face down in the bathtub.

He is already attempting to deliver an alibi of not being in the bathroom. This is extranous information. He is also saying that she feel asleep, this is odd- wouldn't it be more natural to assume an accident? or state she is not breathing? Did he remove her from the bathtub?

In fact the story continues as we can see in the transcript:

The prosecutors began with the first moments of the case: Ryan's call to 911.

911 call:

Dispatcher: 911, what's your emergency?

Ryan Widmer: My wife, she fell asleep in the bathtub, I think. I was downstairs, I just came up here and she was laying face down in the bathtub.

Dispatcher: in the water?

Ryan Widmer: Yes.

Dispatcher: She's in the bathtub?

Ryan Widmer: Yes, she's, the water is draining right now.

On the stand the emergency dispatcher testified that the voice on the phone that night was giving more details than he usually hears in a call like this.

Dispatcher: It seemed the caller was rather calm. Usually, I can't get anything out of them.

To the lead detective's ears, the husband was giving too much information.

Lieutenant Braley: He started his story with, “I was downstairs watching TV. And my wife fell asleep in the tub.” Well, how does he know that? Why is it important to establish where he's at and what he's doing."◦
Share/Bookmark

0 comments: